To be aware of the limitation of the flat surface creates a frame, a frame of reference a frame to confine the borders of the object and its image. It creates a playground for these frames of references.
A painting often confronts us with a different world or a different version of ours, an illusion, something we chose to believe in. The difference between a painting as an object and a painting as an illusion I find intriguing.
Where the act of painting is just as important as the object that carries this act and its image. For example choosing an archetypical object such as a Persian rug as bearer of a subjectively created image.
The painted surface is fading into the suggested world of its border, within the frame of a culture in which the direct depiction of a God is not allowed but is presented by its symmetrical, decorative border.
Or by carrying around a canvas in my daily life, I created the opportunity to let time appear on its surface and let the outside and physical world make its image, and hereby question the act of painting itself and declaring the canvas as an everyday object instead of a sterile one.
The painting sets up its own frame of reference which are all connected as statements in the tradition we call painting, and defines their context trough their material values and associations true illusion, matter and tradition.
In my work I try to dissect these aspects that make up this illusion and tradition, by presenting different objects within the confined borders of the definition of painting Which leads to a new definition or perception on the border of what we call a paintingThe act defines the object - the object defines the act.
- Zegers, Eli Maarten Frederik
- 5 mei 1993
- 09-2011 - 08-2015
- Bachelor Fine Arts Painting Aki/Artez, Enschede
- 2006 – 2011
- Havo, Profiel CM + Biologie Koninklijke Scholen gemeenschap(KSG), Apeldoorn
- 4-11-2015 – 25-11-2015
- Carte Blanche, Eli Zegers B93, Hoge Bothofstraat 166 Enschede
- 20-06-2016 – 27-07-2016
- Subject-Context-Object, A collaboration with Roland Spitzer, Grote Overstraat 63, Deventer
- 03-07-2016 – 05-08-2016
- The form Explored, Duoshow with Annet Bakker Grote Overstraat 63, Deventer
- 27-12-2016 – 30-12-2016
- This art Fair, Beurs van Berlage, Amsterdam
- 04-11-2016 – 28-11-2016
- Marl Kunstern, Bergstrasse 228, Marl, Germany
- 05-09-2016 - 07-09-2016
- Art The Hague, Stand Gallerie Wit, Fokker Terminal, Den Haag
- 28-01-2016 – 28-02-2016
- Light and Blue, Gallerie Het Bouwhuis, Grote Overstraat 63, Deventer
- 10-01-2016 - 07-02-2016
- Start Up, Nieuw Dakota, Ms. van Riemsdijkweg 41, Amsterdam
- 29-08-2015 - 27-09-2015
- Lichting 2015, onze keuze. Galerie Wit Hamelakkerlaan 38, Wageningen
- 30-07-2015 – 01-10-2015
- Gen-ie. Ceintuurbaan 282-284, Amsterdam
- 26-06-2015 – 30-08-2015
- Aki Finals. Concordia Langestraat 56, Enschede
- 17-07-2015 - 24-07-2015
- Final Finals, Twekkerlerweg 124, Twekkelo
- 15-05-2015 - 17-05-2015
- Conglomeraat#2 Stichting Vierkwart Blekerstraat 165, Enschede
- 06-02-2015 - 08-02-2015
- B-Side: Mittelhafen 42-44, Munster
- 26-09-2014 – 26-10-2014
- AKI Goes Amsterdam. W139 Warmoesstraat 139, Amsterdam
- 10-12-2013 - 24-12-2013
- “De eindeloze fase” Fase2 Achter’t hofje 23, Enschede
- HK - Labfonds
- Kunstenlab Deventer 2016-2017